The incorporation of new technologies into our homes is already a reality. Devices that save energy, automate tasks or allow us to control our appliances from our smartphone. Supported by the advantages of the Internet of Things or Artificial Intelligence, intelligent houses are already part of the Smart City ecosystem. Do you want to know their keys?
What are intelligent houses?
When we talk about the definition of intelligent houses (Smart Home) or connected homes we are referring to the incorporation and full integration of new technologies in the domestic environment. Not only for the accomplishment of a concrete task, but in everything that refers to the management and organization of the daily life of its inhabitants.
The concept of digital home is not a term of the future, but there are more and more connected homes that, thanks to domotics, can manage, receive information and automate and optimize tasks that would otherwise depend on the direct action of its residents. Do you know what domotics is?
The houses of the future not only interact with their residents, but also with the urban environment in which they find themselves and, thanks to the connected devices and intelligent sensors of the Internet of Things, they can significantly improve the quality of life of their inhabitants and their environment, thanks to the systems of sustainable consumption and energy efficiency that are part of intelligent homes.
Advantages of smart homes
This integration of new technologies in the domestic environment brings with it important advantages that, among others, can be summarized in:
- Automation of processes thanks to the integration of connected devices, intelligent houses can organize daily tasks such as the shopping list, energy consumption, classification and management of expenses, the agenda of their residents or the maintenance of the equipment that is part of it.
- Efficient consumption management: Without a doubt, one of the most outstanding aspects of intelligent homes is the incorporation of consumption control elements and systems that, whether from a central device or through connected objects, opt for energy efficiency and sustainable consumption in order to reduce electricity bills, water consumption or expenses related to the day-to-day running of homes.
- Telemanagement: Smart homes can be controlled by their users from the mobile phone or any other connected device that, in this way, can control both what happens in your home or manage actions without the need to be present at home.
- Security: Another aspect that is currently setting trends in devices for intelligent homes is the commitment to the installation of access control systems or to prevent domestic incidents in the absence of their users.
- Autonomy of the elderly and dependent persons: Thanks to the automation of tasks and to remote management, via connected devices, intelligent houses represent a considerable increase in the independence of the elderly or those who suffer some type of disability. In the same way, connected homes bring peace of mind to family members or caregivers.
- Connectivity: Intelligent homes are connected to their surroundings and improve communication both from the internal point of view and with the urban environment from which they send and receive information to optimize processes and improve the quality of life of their residents.
Smart Home Devices
The incorporation of new devices to drive intelligent homes and connected homes has already become popular and there are several brands and large distribution chains that bet on the incorporation of smart solutions at competitive prices. Do you know these ‘gadgets’?
Intelligent lighting systems
One of the most popular solutions within the concept of intelligent homes are the new models of lighting systems and intelligent light bulbs.
Through an external device, the user can connect and control them from his mobile device and, in this way, manage their use, the intensity of the light or even the lighting tone. Department stores such as Leroy Merlin or Ikea already offer smart light bulbs at reduced prices, while other companies such as Phillips opt for comprehensive intelligent lighting systems with Hue Go.
Intelligent loudspeakers as control centres
Another of the most fashionable devices and accessible to all pockets are the so-called intelligent loudspeakers that become control center in intelligent homes, as they allow us to control other devices (such as lighting or appliances) and with which, through your voice, you can select music, make queries such as a virtual assistant, searches.
Intelligent locks and security systems
Safety is one of the most valued elements in this new world of int
Do you know the Andalusian initiative Lockart powered by Minerva? control access to your home with intelligent video doorphones or electronic peepholes that send the image to your smartphone and with which you can instantly contact wherever you are.